Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Before you forward that email . . .

On a regular basis, I receive emails warning me about various scams, dangers, new laws, urban legends, etc. I'm sure you have, too. They sound so real that we often pass them along to family, friends, and co-workers without a second thought. Several years ago, a colleague at another library introduced me to Snopes and suggested I "check it out" first before forwarding such messages. I've pretty much gotten it down now, and am training others to do the same. If you're not familiar with this site, take a look: http://message.snopes.com/index.php and pass it along to others. The latest one I received was from my youngest brother, who now checks Snopes regularly before forwarding. This particular one involved an email he received regarding Sears voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called-up reservist employees for up to two years. Here's the Snopes link--see for yourself how it works. http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.asp

Leora Kemp, Librarian

No comments: